Service and project type
Technology | Digital experience
Kainos plc is a FTSE250 technology consulting firm, founded in 1986 as a joint venture between Queen’s University Belfast and the Japanese global IT services company Fujitsu. They currently employ over 2000 people across Europe and North America.
Kainos asked us to reimagine their digital experience to bring it up to date and in line with their new ‘One Kainos’ strategy.
There are two main parts to Kainos:
- Digital Services – building digital products and services for public sector and enterprise clients.
- Workday Practice – Supporting Workday customers around the globe with implementation, optimisation and testing services.
The business had grown and evolved significantly over recent years, but the firm’s digital experience had not kept pace with this change. With separate websites, and radically different experiences across them, there was a need to unify everything behind their new strategy. The company also wanted their new site to deliver leads, integrated with their marketing automation software.
A new global site was required as a home for all areas of the business. The project broke down into clear phases:
- Discovery and research – Interviews with internal stakeholders and customers to understand the different facets of the business, its value propositions, defining customer types and their journeys across the sales cycle and beyond.
- User experience design – To define the information architecture, structure, and user journeys through the site. The goal here was to unify content across the site where possible, while recognising that some sections needed to be kept separate at the top level to ease navigation. Key to this was a new global Insights section with effective filtering controls to make relevant content easy to discover for different customer types.
- User Interface design – We created a design system built on solid accessibility principles, to meet the goal of an ‘AA’ grade accessible website (as defined by the WCAG 2.1 guidelines). The design system is built around a series of reusable modules that cover a broad range of requirements, creating future flexibility and strong visual consistency across the site.
- Development and deployment – The site was built using the Optimizely Digital Experience Platform (formerly Episerver), and includes several key integrations including Marketo (for marketing campaigns) and Workday (for careers).
The new site went live in May 2021 as part of an extensive SEO migration, with over 25,000 individual pages mapped from the three legacy sites into the new consolidated Kainos website.
Immediate post-live services included usability testing (to inform the next round of developments) and SEO monitoring to protect search equity through the transition period.